Saturday, January 10, 2009

Casablanca

Casablanca was a very interesting film to watch. I have always portrayed black and white movies to be boring because they were made so long ago. When I watched the movie, I watched it with an open mind and really enjoyed it. In the chapter I read in the book, it talked about becoming a receptive viewer. I was being one when I watched the movie and I will now watch movies with a more open mind then ever before.
At the end of the movie, I wish Rick and Ilsa would have gotten together. It would have made the movie even more romantic. In the article "Casablanca" by Ray Merlock, it talked about the movie was showing how love prevails through war and other tough times, which is true so I understand why it ended up the way it did. I feel that Rick would have been better for Ilsa and that she enjoyed him more than her husband. I think they would have had a great life in the United States.
I thought the film did a good job and changing scenes and having different camera angles for being made in the 40s. I really liked the part when Rick flashed back to the time in Paris with Ilsa because until then, the audience was anticipating how Rick and Ilsa knew each other.
Casablanca was way better than I thought it would be and I would watch it again. I really like how it feels like we are in a movie theater with the big screen and the comfy chairs. Chapter one talked about how the film-viewing environment can really make a difference in a movie. I think that we had a pretty good environment to watch Casablanca in.

No comments:

Post a Comment