Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I thought that Slumdog Millionaire was a great movie. The movie really made me see just how lucky I am to live in America. It also made me realize how grateful I am for the things that I had. Where the movie was shot, people were living in really bad conditions. It was sad watching the children play in large garbage piles and look so dirty. It was also sad when the people were attacked for their religion and Salim’s and Jamal’s mom was killed right in front of their eyes. They were strong boys because instead of crying they ran for their lives.
When I read the article “Coke, Benz avoid gritty ‘Slumdog’ roles,” I thought it was shocking how Coca-Cola and Mercedes Benz didn’t really want to have their products in the film. The director painted over the coke sign on the coke bottle. Mercedes didn’t care if their car was parked in a scene, they just didn’t want it to be driven in the slums. I think that they are setting bad examples and disrespecting the “slums.” If I was a company, I would be proud to have my product shown in almost any movie.
The second article that I read was “From Slumdog to Top Dog.” I found this article very interesting because it talked about how the characters were real. By this, I mean that the characters were all from India or born in India. Because of this, it really did make the movie seem a lot more real and got you feeling like you were in India yourself. Everything about the movie was so real, nothing seemed to be made up or fake. Another part of the article that I found to also be very interesting was about how the movie almost didn’t get put in theaters and it was almost just a put on the shelf DVD. I don’t think I would have ever seen the movie if it wasn’t put in theaters, and I don’t think that the movie would have had as much recognition as it got and is still getting. I am glad that it made it into theaters because that movie did deserve everything that it has gotten because it was such an amazing film.
I never picked up any color symbols in the movie, but I am sure that there were some. I did pick up some symbols in the movie though. I think that Latika stood for everything the Jamal ever wanted and his hope that he had every day that pushed him on to get through his hard times. On a broader perspective, I think that Latika stands for everything anyone has wanted so bad that they would do anything to get it.
At the end of the movie when Salim is finally going to help his brother out, I think it is a sign that Jamal is going to have a good life now. Salim meant a lot to Jamal and now that he is agreeing with him Jamal can live a happy life. When Salim pours all the money into the tub and lays in it to wait for the guy to walk in, I think that the money stands for the fact that Salim has realized that he has done some very bad things and it willing to give his life to make them better. Salim is killed when he is lying in the money which symbolizes he has finally given up everything, including his want of money.
Slumdog Millionaire was a great movie and was directed extremely well. The movie was real and it made it a lot more interesting. This would defiantly be a movie that I would buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment